Saturday, September 06, 2014

Vacation part two


Let's just pretend I didn't skip two months and follow along with our regularly scheduled programming, which was the second part of our Fourth of July vacation.  

Of course now it's September already, and summer is officially over, although weather wise it's still between 90 and 100 degrees every day at our house.  I'm ready for Fall.  

Anyway, after our ten mile canoe trip, joe and I needed a day of rest so we spent the next day at Lisa's house with all of the animals and just chilled.  I don't even think I got out of my PJ's the entire day.  It was actually July 4th, but we were going to go see fireworks on Saturday in Monte Rio so we didn't feel the need to venture out on the actual fourth.  

The following day(Saturday), the plan was to head back to the Russian River to sit in the river all day and relax.  We planned a quick stop on the way there to Muir Woods.  We had never been.  We got a late start after taking care of the animals and getting the house ready for the pet sitter. 

Then it took us over an hour just to get out of the city and over the bridge. And then of course there was a TON of people also trying to go to Muir woods(hello, holiday weekend!).  By the time we got there it was late afternoon and I was kind of pissed because that day was supposed to be my relax by the river day and instead all I had done was care for animals, and clean house and sit in traffic. Now joe was asking me to walk a mile(literally) to see some woods that I was pretty sure weren't going to be impressive anyway.

But we were there and I thought I may as well make the best of it. 

The bridge was crawling with people and the line to park was a mile long.  I snapped this from the car window.  



We walked into the entrance of the park and I thought "well this certainly is pretty". Then as we moved further in I looked up and saw this:

Oh.  My.  Gosh. I was breathless.  It was stunning.  Majestic.  I walked around in awe with my head tilted towards the sky the entire time I was there.  I love this place.  I didn't want to leave.  
We stayed for three hours.  Joe had to drag me out of there.  I can't believe we have never been there before!   

SO worth the trip. 

We will definitely be back.  



Picked up this sticker for my car.  Love.  




We made it to the river just in time for dinner and fireworks.  After fireworks we stayed the night in Santa Rosa so we didn't have to drive all the way back to Lisa's.  
Bye Monte Rio!  Until next year.  


So I didn't get to sit in the river with a beer and relax.  But I did get to see that beautiful place   And I'm so glad I did. There's always next year!

On the way home we took the long way and drove along the napa coast. So beautiful. 

Stopped at a yummy fish place for lunch. So good. 



Stumbled upon this lovely historical church.  

I really wants to show Lisa this place that joe and I found on the way home on Thursday but when we went back, this is all we saw.   Fog.  That's Northern California for you.  Down there is goat's rock, and a beautiful view of the coastline.  I guess she'll have to take my word for it. 
That's what it looks like with no fog.  Beautiful!

The next day we had to head home. I took Monday off so we could beat the holiday traffic.  Of course we didn't want to leave and didn't end up on the road until after noon.  I wasn't too excited about my vacation coming to an end so we decided to take the scenic route home(route 101), even though it's a bit longer.  Around five we stopped in Pismo beach to stretch our legs. 


That still lefts us a four hour drive home, putting us home around ten thirty Monday night.  I was tired the next day but it was so worth it.  It was a fantastic vacation.  

No comments: